my high school music teacher, Mr. Parker,
shipped me off to the meager alto section
where I sang Handel's Messiah in monotone riffs
like a scald crow, or a ploughman at the fields.
Never the white dove soaring in the vaulted sky.
Decades later, after an accident, a punctured lung
left me breathless, my therapy was to join a choir,
where I discovered that all this time that
I was a soprano. I felt cheated at both ends:
I was given no melody line when I was young,
singing a supportive third below the gilded flock
who preened their swansong feathers,
& screeched high notes because they could.
Mr. Parker's nose was as red as that fictional reindeer,
as he spiked his coffee with endless libations.
as he spiked his coffee with endless libations.
And now, with no way to reach the upper arpeggios,
I stagger between the two parts, a switch hitter
baying out all the song lines.
No wonder I was always trying to braid
the alto and soprano lines together all at once,
splitting the difference between the sour notes.
No wonder I still can't sing to save my life.
12/8/17
No alto, I sang
the Messiah in flat notes
no melody line
the Messiah in flat notes
no melody line
to soar in the vault
of the soprano songbirds
preening their voices.
12/8/17
Write a haiku invoking, but not naming, a minor holiday. You may use the name of the holiday as the title if you want. Modesto-Stanislaus Poetry Cr challenge
OK so it wasn't a haiku.
In
high school there weren't enough altos, so my choir director said I was
an alto, and I found out decades later I am a soprano. I felt cheated
at both ends. No melody line when I was young. Trying to simultaneously
sing the alto and the soprano lines at once, then splitting the
difference between the note range when I was older. No wonder I can't
sing.
No comments:
Post a Comment