When I wear the poet's vest,
people stop and stare.
When I walk down the street,
they follow me. As if mellifluous words
were trapped in the hemline.
My poet's vest has bolstered me
through many poetry readings where
I doubted my words, but they became whole
and imbued with context.
My poet's vest made from war-torn Highland
huipils of women no longer alive.
Their voices speak to me
when I wear the poet's vest.
Indigo flowers teach the fabric
of the midnight skies,
where an Aurora flits and dances
like a raucous parrots and star clusters
contemplate the sky's jewels.
My poet's vest, older than all my relationships,
I bought on sale, it cost a month rent.
My friends urging me on, saying: it's so you.
It was a great thing to do, I am so frugal,
especially when it comes to the self,
I counted out my money,
friends chipping in $10 here, $5 there.
Leap of faith that all would work out in the end.
See, I had just given a reading in the gallery
where the walls were cloud banks.
All that investment of summer sky
and night secrets. Susan says
nichtallaludi, a Greek word
of hidden muses wanting to dance
on the tongue of night.
To paint flowers on the tongue
iI was not a feathered cloak,
but it was my passage to another world.
8/19/2016
Ellen Bass Workshop
No comments:
Post a Comment