Monday, October 29, 2012

Jerry Brown Sighting


Today, I saw a familiar figure turn and approach my sample booth where I was serving Halloween cake samples—I recognized those ears. The way they stuck out. I was surprised no one in the store noticed who it was.

So I started clapping, and soon others joined me.

Jerry Brown approached my table, smiling.

I said You should be out running around Lake Merritt.

He said I just was!

I laughed and fed him cake—we chit-chatted. I said to the gathering crowd Jerry Brown gave me my first California Arts Council Artist in Residency grant at Mark West School in Santa Rosa.

He said You don't say.

I said I voted.

He said, Good. Where's the salmon.

I yelled to a co-worker, Can you please show the Governor where the salmon is? Fish of wisdom.

I thought my co-worker was going to die of shock as he led the governor over to the fresh produce section.


Those CAC grants changed my life!
They gave me hope and the ability to dream big and follow that crazy dream. They took me to Russia, the Ukraine, as I carried poetry and art back and forth—it had a huge impact on many, many people's lives.

No comments: