Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chevron-Texaco is our BP

It seems that post -Rapture hangover has politicized me today. Most of these recent posts are Facebook inspired ramblings, I decided not to let them sink back into the void and see if there was enough material to suffice a blog post. Andrew Sullivan had an interesting blog on post-internet writing. It seems I too am caught up in the midst of that revolution. Maybe I will expand this memory into a full-blown blog. So this is a placeholder with an action item. Please do sign the petition.

In the early 1980s, in a Quito restaurant, I overheard Texaco American oilmen casually discussing the refineries and pipelines—and devastation to the Amazon rain forest as mere collateral damage—and thinking nothing of it. The image haunted me...

I am glad the scandal is finally out in the open, the devastation Chevron-Texaco has deliberately done to Ecuador is horrific.

Chevron-Texaco is our BP. On the quasi-anniversary of the BP Gulf spill, as marine life is washing up dead all over the Caribbean, know that Texaco and other oil companies have been destroying large swaths of the Amazon Basin for 30 years. Please visit the link below and then sign the petition.



Tell Chevron to Clean Up Ecuador Now!  

See this open letter to the United States from the communities in Ecuador devastated by oil giant Chevron's contamination. Then, sign the petition.

No comments: