—for Brian & Nancy, 11/23/85
Late afternoon wedding.
The courtyard of Mission San Juan Capistrano
harbors no swallows--only bleak mud nests.
On the bare tree, the one white pigeon stirs the flock
and like grey leaves bursting into flight, they circle and bank
as guests enter the narrow timbered adobe chapel,
whitewashed walls lean heavily toward the sea,
dim green light broken into patterns by the windows of saints.
A white satin carpet is unrolled for Brian & Nancy.
Behind a flurry of veils, the kiss, the rings we can’t see.
The guitar strings whisper, the mariachi band readies itself.
And the final words of the padre, “In 50 years
I will come to bless you again. Look for a small white bird.
All this recorded on video; seafoam and dark shadows.
As the last chord fades, we leave the church
barely able to look at each other
but our white-knuckled fingers and damp palms
reassure us of our existence.
John mimics my left-handed sign-of-the-cross
The nuns said it was the sign of the devil.
Our car horns stir the pigeon flock
into another cloud of frenzied flight.
We run the red lights. Cars at weddings
and funerals have right-of-way.
At the San Clemente Beach Club
the wedding party reconvenes.
In this bastion of America, pinstripe suits
mingle with down jackets and nikes.
I imagine behind each face, a mask,
behind each palm tree, a dark stranger.
Each day John pins to his breast
the lapis heart I gave him.
In ritual there is comfort.
But this makes me uneasy.
Someone sings Danny Boy
& Brian’s mother cries
the same way my aunt does.
The storm front pushes down on the sea
until the horizon is swallowed.
We take armfuls of red carnations out into the night
& slide drunkenly between Brian & Nancy’s sheets
as if this were our honeymoon instead.
Dark petals stain the sheets & the rain comes down.
San Clemente
we try to outrun the rain
& the sudden weight of ourselves.
Today, at the age of 33,
I’m almost as old as Christ before he died.
John strings turquoise stones,
flecks of the sky around my neck
and says, “In 50 years I’ll be an old man,
will you want me then?”
I tell him “I have trouble
separating myself from childhood,
and the child within me asks,
”where will the small flocks of wild birds
hide themselves when it begins to rain?”
At Camp Pendelton John stops to take a piss
US govt. signs warn of arrest for stopping or loitering
& I imagine cops in the bushes
waiting for the weak-bladdered.
We pass ground zero.
Truncated towers, multi-armed monsters
march east across 101 from San Onofre.
I try on the sound. Onofre. Laguna.
La paloma, pigeon/dove es la verdad.
In Spanish there is no distinction between the two.
Open chord progressions of birds sit upon scored lines
leading from San Onofre to the heartland.
John says, “All across the country these reactors
are dormant bombs waiting for the fuse.
Huge red bells strung from power lines
labor silently in the wind.


No comments:
Post a Comment