Saturday, February 10, 1996

Sonoma State University Valentine art auction


At the Sonoma State University Valentine Art from the Heart art auction, I eavesdropped on people discussing my art. The woven watercolor collaged drew admiration, but no sale. The oil stick drawing sold for $55 to a Japanese man buying it for his granddaughter who chose my piece out of all the pieces in the show. 

I was amazed when she later asked, Do you know my father? pointing to Michael Schwager who runs the art gallery. Last year, his father bought my volcano collage photo as well. Michael said he gave the photo to his sister. I said Michael, Your family keeps collecting my art. But I'm pleased to know that a young girl will hang my art in her room. 

And I ran into an old College of Marin painting classmate, Joe Schmo. Joe and I were in the same painting class with Chester Arnold whose painting sold for more than $500, a sweet little piece.

I remember giving Chester a ride home once to a garage at the top of Wolfe Grade in San Rafael. Chester was extraordinarily odd even then. And I assume he's no less so now. Only now he's famous, or, at least, collectible. His weirdness now labeled as eccentricity. 

Joseph still looks the same, tall, swarthy, and handsome. I never remember his name. I see him once a year at the Sonoma State University events. He is never friendly to me but I say hello anyway. He used to live in Forest Knolls near the Manning's place, but he was always cold, even then.

Speaking of old friends, Greer Upton was saying to me tonight that the only time she ever sees me is at this event. Her friend Robin was with her. I said stuffed trout! When I first met Robin, some 15 years ago, she had printed a photo  of a fish on muslin and stuffed it. and Robin, who married someone I once knew, Riley, became a very young stepmother, but now she looks old and emaciated, and though Greer is getting heavy, she radiates a classic cherubic beauty. 

As to friends, so many people at this art show are not really my friends. Professional friends, co-workers in the arts, yes. But not friends. Unfortunately my connection with Greer and Robin is through a teaching arts organization we helped found. But the friendship never developed beyond that. She is a friend of Lee Perron's, and I've always been on the outside of that circle. Especially when I had to distance myself from Lee. My only real friend to emerge from that group is Marsha Connell who has a piece in the show as well.

No comments: