Tuesday, February 6, 1996

Full floodstage


Over 5.5 inches of rain fell yesterday, and last night the river was was at full flood stage. We've had almost 39 inches of rain and it's only the beginning of February. We had 63 inches of rain last year. Today Casadero reached 71 inches. OK so Kauaii gets 460 inches per year, but that's over a period of 365 days, not one and a half days. The river was rising at a 14 feet an hour, and crested at 39 feet.

At 43 it's amazing how limber I still am. When I stepped out of George's cabin wearing my zoris I hit a slick moss patch on the cement, coated by a water slick, and proceeded to do the splits down the stairs with left leg forward and right knee behind me, onto the ground, my big toe, right knee and left buttock coated with mud, mud trophies of where I had been. I let out a shriek as I fell, and no one came to see if I was okay as I waddled off to the bath house, coated in mud. 

It's the same spill I took at my high school school reunion with my left knee came down on some cake right in front of Broadway hoofer Joel Blum, and he thought I had done the splits in front of him on purpose. I never seem to fall on with my right leg forward because my left knee was operated on? Am I left footed, or all feet?

Flotsam and jetsam: wee no longer measure rain by the inch, but by the foot. Today as I toured the flooded Laguna and Markwest Creek, I spied red chili peppers, and yellow crookneck squash that floated in from the field down to the creek to adorn the bushes like Christmas ornaments. Wine pallets snagged atop vineyard fences, and even a wayward bathtub made its escape to the river.

No comments: