I fell asleep for three hours, while reading Polar Star yesterday afternoon. I'm still not better if I can take a nap, and sleep like the dead, after nine hours of sleep, I must be really sick. My eyes are burning, a sign of fever. So many people of gotten pneumonia from this bug. Flu or cold? It doesn't matter in the end what you call it. Sick is the operative word.
Because of the fevers, I have wild, visual dreams. I dreamed there were wolves outside the door, but I was related to them. I was dressed in a gray suit my skirt was on backwards and some small thing scurried off with my wooden handled screwdriver. I thought it was a scorpion, but I couldn't tell in the failing light. I hitched up my skirt around the right way, and marched out into the night to reclaim my tools.
This morning I dreamt I was at the Y where you can either go out to Point Reyes or to Tomales Bay, but we were hiking on foot, not from the road. My companion wanted to know where Mount Vision was, and couldn't believe we were actually on its shoulder.
Darkness caught us there, and I suggested that we spend the night huddled together for warmth. I could see the drowned valley of Creamery Bay in front of me, reflected in the afterglow of twilight, but the entrance to the bay was on the Tomales Bay side. Which is which was really 10-mile Beach. This landscape was all convoluted and damseled about.
I watched a whale or porpoise swimming up into the estuary. I it was so beautiful, I couldn't take my eyes off it. Why did I dream of the point, the island in time on January 3? The Spanish who sailed up this coast named each point according to the calindrical saint's day. Año Nuevo equals New Year's Day, Punta de los Reyes is the three Kings of the Epiphany, January 6. But today is the 3rd.
Another earlier dream also dealt with Tomales Bay, there was a new driveway graded near Heart's Desire Beach, which had me upset. I rode up on horseback knowing that we weren't welcome, but it worked out alright anyway, because a young man who was a painter, had heard of me, and wanted me to write a brief brochure about him. A job!
There was also another dream: something to do with occluded landownership titles. I remember looking out to where Heart's Desire Beach was. And someone had cut down all the trees, and plowed the ground down to bedrock, until there was no beach left. I was horrified, it was a mystery. I later brought a clay tablet with an inverse footprint, to the father who could read its meaning. Out of Africa.
The phone rings at 3 AM. My dead mother wanting me to read her horoscope from the I Ching to her.
January 3
No comments:
Post a Comment