In the sweat lodge at Westerbeck Ranch,
the lava rocks glowed red,
the cedar offerings ignited like stars.
I prayed for Nathan, that he would find his teachers,
that I would be worthy of teaching him,
for the good Red Road is not my path,
though I am of it.
I prayed for the release of my parents.
I prayed for the release of Sinead's father.
I prayed for my cousins who wanted us to sell the land,
to understand that land is more important
than just money.
I thanked Jim for bringing us here,
I thanked the land we met on etc.,
Lakota Sioux chants to offer us up.
He said there would be some discomfort, yes, my muscles ached, was all this from playing pool the night before? I don't think so. I was in a vulnerable position several times because of my whiplash, and I began to hurt. I didn't accomplish much yesterday so couldn't have been food that made me so violently ill. The night before, I have a hamburger and a half a Newcastle on draught.
Uneasy sweat rolled off of me. If I had toxins, they were plentiful. By around three PM, my outer layer of skin began to itch, and I thought of how like a snake shedding its skin it was. We shed the old, burdensome layers, and emerge with new skins. I washed under the nearly full hunter's moon, my breasts like answering orbs.
I thought I wasn't going to make it to the last sweat round. I was dizzy. Jim Byrd talked about the lodge being the womb, and here we were,10 people in a tiny space filled with hot glowing rocks. I did not feel well, and my dizziness increased, my headache became a migraine. It was the carbon dioxide and smoke.
I resorted to Advil after the sweat, to relieve the blinding headache, but my stomach had other plans, and it was a battle just to keep it down to drive home. My mouth was foaming, preparing to upchuck. I wondered what if I'd have to pull over, and the drive home was long. Many close calls. I was tortured beyond belief but soda crackers and bread relieved some of the symptoms and Pepto-Bismol took care of the rest, but it took some time.
It was good to see Jim and Nancy. They seem to have healed the rift between them, and all was as it was last year, before he left her. He left on the red road, only to find it led right back to her door. Family. Roots. Right in his own backyard.
(11/4) excerpt
No comments:
Post a Comment