I didn’t
know I loved the way
his eyes repeated the color
of weathered stone
his eyes repeated the color
of weathered stone
or how,
unlike stone, they ripen
into dark clouds when he smiles.
into dark clouds when he smiles.
Or the way
his son’s eyes
are the clear promise of summer skies.
are the clear promise of summer skies.
Stolen
kisses at 4 am, I sleep alone;
she comes, spreading her body.
she comes, spreading her body.
Sometimes I
see how the division begins
in the darkness
in the darkness
when we
pull our hearts in,
afraid of the eventual loss that inevitably comes.
afraid of the eventual loss that inevitably comes.
Sometimes I
too think the heart
is something to protect—
is something to protect—
like death,
it cannot be saved for later.
I’m stuck,
this rock,
this tree becomes the center.
this tree becomes the center.
His voice
like smooth stone against my thoughts.
The boy and
I go walking on the headlands
trying to find the summit.
trying to find the summit.
I envy the
way water knows its predestined course,
for the
heart is always hovering like a hawk,
the hunter’s
eye seeking small clues in the grass.
On this
side of the San Andreas Fault,
the sea breathes us in.
the sea breathes us in.
Seeking
completion,
he is afraid of arbitrary divisions.
he is afraid of arbitrary divisions.
The trouble
with unrequited lust
this full valentine moon,
this full valentine moon,
is that I’m
liable to develop
carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists.
carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists.
Say “master
painter” five times real fast. . .
When I howl
at the moon, t
hey gather downwind. But he is afraid.
hey gather downwind. But he is afraid.
Polly,
pretty Polly. . .
The volunteer sent to serve ice cream
The volunteer sent to serve ice cream
for the
class party—Polly’s father—
wore a heart sticker on his sleeve,
wore a heart sticker on his sleeve,
redigging
his daughter’s grave
with each scoop.
with each scoop.
With
careful steps anyone can find
the center of the heart
the center of the heart
Like waves
crashing against the rocks
disturbed swallows rise
disturbed swallows rise
like dark
clouds before the storm
making me
believe the heart
is always hard to approach.
is always hard to approach.
Where do we
go from here?
What of Polly’s father?
What of Polly’s father?
The chambers
of the heart
grow infinitely larger to accomodate love.
grow infinitely larger to accomodate love.
inside the
heart of the rose
is a secret chamber
is a secret chamber
where the
silent worm waits
for darkness
to creep out of the sky
because
there are no other parallels
for death;
it feeds upon the pollen
that falls
into the center of life.
Beyond the
edges of the petals
a whole
green universe
is waiting for the sun to rise
is waiting for the sun to rise
above it,
to take it towards completion.
The voices
of birds move away
from the thoughts of roses.
from the thoughts of roses.
How am I
supposed to act now?
He has to come of his own volition.
He has to come of his own volition.
The cat
curls in my arms, chews his fleas.
The child and I hold onto each other.
The child and I hold onto each other.
We paste glowing
constellations on the ceiling.
I cannot divide this love.
I cannot divide this love.
At least he
knows the rooms of his own heart.
Returning
home from the mountains
I bring snow for the child,
I bring snow for the child,
afraid of
the father’s eyes, how like glaciers.
I can’t
stop the mind from anticipating.
Confused by
the non-eye in poetry,
I was a bird caught in a church bell
I was a bird caught in a church bell
he’s the
tongue on the harmonica
between my legs.
between my legs.
I can’t
tell if we’re moving away,
or closer to each other.
or closer to each other.
Who is stalking
the dreams
I wish I had as a child.
I wish I had as a child.
Perhaps we
are sideways rain;
a squall of momentary jealousy,
a squall of momentary jealousy,
a patch of
weather on a glassy sea.
Someone served us delusion.
Someone served us delusion.
He named it
island. Called it lonely.
Said, What if it doesn’t work out?
Said, What if it doesn’t work out?
What if it
does, and 7 years later
I’m on the road playing music? Then what?
I’m on the road playing music? Then what?
They talk
about moving.
What about Maureen? the son asks.
What about Maureen? the son asks.
If you take
out the “I”,
delusion is a seven-letter word.
delusion is a seven-letter word.
Prime numbers
aside,
it took God 7 days. Aye. Aiii. I. . . sing
it took God 7 days. Aye. Aiii. I. . . sing
Freedom’s
just another word for nothing left to lose. . .
After I
fell, I couldn’t breathe.
The longest word in English is a lung disease.
The longest word in English is a lung disease.
He comes to
massage me,
leaves me fingering the crack in his bed.
leaves me fingering the crack in his bed.
Crawls in
with his son.
I dreamed he sawed the legs off his son’s bed
I dreamed he sawed the legs off his son’s bed
until there
was no place left for them to rest.
2/15 - 20/95
From several in class writing assignments, and prose journal entries. I do not know which I prefer, in hindsight,
4 untitled VALENTINE POEMS
INSIDE THE HEART OF THE ROSE
4 untitled VALENTINE POEMS
INSIDE THE HEART OF THE ROSE
No comments:
Post a Comment