Thursday, September 20, 1990

RRWG anthology, A Stone's Throw, The Paper, Sep 20, 1990






I had to write the review for this anthology for The Paper, and I was very nearly excluded from the anthology, blackballed by the churlish women of the Russian River Women Writers' Guild. Painful. But I acted professionally.

I was the black sheep. It was like those horrid high school cliques. I never did know why they ganged up on me like that. Perhaps over a Garbo's poster misunderstanding. They read malice into it (I had to fit Peggy Ellingson in one line in calligraphy so I scrunched up the letters to make it all fit. They were vindictive and kicked me out of the group. I was devastated. Anyway, Marianne and Jayne asked why wasn't I included, and forced their hand. Women I hope to never see again, not even at my own wake: Barbara Baer, Peggy Ellingson, Laura del Fuego, Mary Ellen O'Banion.

No comments: