Sunday, October 16, 1988

NAMES FOR TIME, NAMES FOR TIME, long v. after Charles Simic’s Stone


Names for time, insufferable on human terms
100,000 years. How does a stone
measure time and distance?
I've always wanted to see Lascaux and Altamira
(look up!). The first Greek goddess,
the great mother, was not Greek, but a meteorite
that struck the earth with sudden impact.

10/1988

NAMES FOR TIME, long v.
     — after Charles Simic

Insufferable on human terms, 
small durable objects gathered in green seas. 
They say that no two crystals are exactly alike. 
If I could go inside a stone I would find 
fractals opening doors into new worlds.
Small, base molecules always in a hurry, 
bouncing off time as if it were repeatable. 
Who really knows what’s inside a tiger’s heart,
or a stone? 

Names for time, insufferable on human terms, 
100,000 years. How does a stone measure time and distance? 
I have always wanted to see the painted caves 
of Lascaux and Altamira. Remember to look up. 
The first Greek goddess, 
the great mother was a meteorite 
that struck the earth with sudden impact.

10/16/1988

No comments: