Saturday, August 15, 1987

Mexico Journal, broken camera, Oaxaca


My camera is fixed! It cost 10,000 pesos: 5000 for a light meter and then 5000 for fixing the lens. The camera repair man said the little eyes of the light meter are smashed beyond help, that the lens he packed with grease and he tightened and the advance knob fixed.

But the eyes of the camera, the eyes that read the light are smashed, and they are unfixable, he said. I am trying not to think this is a metaphor for things to come. I am so grateful, I could kiss his eyes.

I buy a used Weston light meter made in the 1950s, just like the one I have at home, which was my uncle's, for $10. Now I have two old light meters. A new one from another store, was $32 very expensive. Muy caro, I said. I learned to use the light meter. Finally. My darkroom co-worker, Phil Osborne, at The Paper, will be pleased.

Never drop a camera from a height of 5 feet onto a cement floor and expect survival. John was moving my things in the cupboard and didn't see the camera nestled on top. I feel extremely lucky. I was afraid the internal damage would be too extensive. But the Panasonic K-1000 bodies are built like tanks. But the Vivitar lens spits out  a trail of tiny ball bearings every time I zoom.

The eye take on a new form. The pineal eye that sometimes appears on certain species with no known reason, the light, how to view the world. The light.


no date Aug 15? also not sure where. Oaxaca?

No comments: