SUMMER OF LOVE
During the Summer of Love, drug experimentation
blossomed in kalidaescopic exponentials.
My mother checked out Ken Kesey's acid tests.
People sleep in doorways, in the Haight
crash pads with bare mattresses
and sinks-fill with rotting garbage
Crazy people get crazier.
We ran from one end
of the San Geronimo Valley to the other
searching for dope and rock stars.
An abandoned van parked at Dead Man's Curve
in Lagunitas was a crash pad for lovers without a bed.
Parties on The Charles Van Dam
an old steam boat stuck in the Sausalito mud-flats.
Varda's geometric blue and red paintings
nailed to the wall, defied horizon and plumb-line logic
but the colors were neon exponentials.
Big Brother and the Holding Company took over the barracks
at Barbano's summer camp on Arroyo Road.
Mrs. Barbano's daughter was killed by a car in Mexico—
Mr. B. shot himself in the head.
Walking home -from school, I see him all white and red
as if asleep in the ambulance.
When the shadows grew long and settled into the gulch,
the hills reverberated with screaming electric guitars.
My friend Micaela quit coming home,
dropped in and dropped out at Barbano's, and I felt betrayed.
Kerouac On the Road. Cassidy at the wheel.
Timothy Leary and Baba Ram Dass floated into town.
The names rolled off the tongue
like a Who's Who of the counter culture.
No time for recording history.
The search for dope was more important than scoring.
After a bad acid trip, mirrors
and checkered tile floors were a drag.
Like Pinnocchio, my nose grew
every time I looked into the mirror.
It takes me years before I can look into a mirror,
touch grass, or alcohol without hallucinating.
I don't know whether I've passed or failed
the Electric Koolaid Acid Test.
We tried everything at least once.
Spirits of the land came forth into air like patterned fog.
Time slowed down enough to swallow another dimension.
Rocking in a legless wicker chair, my arms were Shiva's.
Crack in the world.
A friend brought news of a friend stuck in a Mexican jail
said the border police tore tore apart their van
they even removed the tires from the rims.
Moulton's store burned down in Forest Knolls.
There wasn't much left to downtown
except the Valley Tavern and the post office.
The same was true about Lagunitas.
Some say the boy who set his own house on fire,
killing two younger brothers, torched that building too.
When the Hell's Angels rode into town,
Old Man Bevans stuck a rake handle through one Angel's tire spokes.
There wasn't much left to hospitalize.
Everyone started selling out. Land was subdivided. Dairies went under.
One could feel the change in the wind.
Morning glory seeds coated with poison.
Heavenly Blues turned deadly.
A friend in the slammer for dealing.
Another turned up in an oil barrel in the San Rafael canal
Hendrix dead. Janis. Bobby dead.
The vets. All those dead coming home in boxes.
Someone out there was playing for keeps.
And the strung-out freaks were alwayslooking for action.
In art class we listened to Ravi Shankar on KPFA.
"Everybody's" made Time Magazine
as the first health food store in the US.
Life magazine ran glossy photos of the Vietnam War.
Etched in my mind like shadows of Hiroshima.
On Bolinas Mesa, the writers colony discovered Turtle Island.
Gary Snyder talked about my home as if he owned it.
I said I could write like him. What's the big deal?
So I began my apprenticeship with the coyote.
My mother checked in and out of mental wards.
Handed me her bible, One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest
so I could understand shock therapy. As if I wanted to.
I waited in green hospital wards for her
to come shuffling in paper slippers and a blue gown
across yellowed and green tiled floors with curved corners.
The medication they gave her made her worse.
Alice and The White Rabbit were institutionalized.
I'm working with the crazies at Napa State Hospital
They have poems memorized. l can't remember any of my poems.
I meet a friend of my mother's, an inmate,
Sally Lacy, who raises an eyebrow,
and wants to know what I'm doing in a place like this.
I meet a high school classmate. So, this is where they wound up.
Do I tell them poets are the must often institutionalized?
Maybe it's those locked up who are closer to poetry.
The nuthouses are breeding poets.
The trickster Coyote has holes in his pockets.
Little did Lew Welch know when he wrote
"The Song Mt. Tamalpais Sings"
that there was nowhere else left for us to go.
It was no longer a question of need.
Houses desecrate the sides of the goddess, Mt. Tam-Fujisan.
When a friend tried to leave the Sufis,
they stopped him at the airport,
placing a hand on his shoulder and said he'd die for it.
His shoulder burned, an x-ray imprint of a hand,
and later, cancer.
Vietnam is our mantra. At People's Park
Governor Reagan brought out the National Guard.
Brothers and sisters fell.
We shielded our faces from FBI telephoto lenses
aimed from the top of the Zim's Drive-in tower
with Zim Boy waving and grinning down at us.
We were confused by the sudden violence.
People moved to the country and joined communes
to Morning Star Ranch or moved to the Eel Eiver.
Raised families. Most lost their land to taxes, or CAMP.
Got tired of it eventually. Cut off their hair.
Bought suits. Joined the rat race.
Now it's hard to remember what it was like.
Jerry Rubin. Yuppies. Baby boon,baby carrots and raduccio.
Bitter vets returned home like aliens from another planet.
John Lennon gunned down in New York by some crazy wanting fame
and 20 years later, we like to think a revolution is brewing.
The children conceived during that Summer of Love
have come of age in an era of violence and apathy.
6/1987
I didn't find a file, or clean final hard copy of this poem so this is a faxsimile. added 6/17



No comments:
Post a Comment