Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Billy Collins’ The Night People, the Cool People 3-year Zoom celebration

I grabbed up some books collected during the plague, in case we were sharing. I came to the Poetry Broadcast series in June 2021, after I had taken a writing workshop with Billy Collins via Zoom at Book Passages, and then soon afterwards, Gwyndolen Soper, the founder of TNPTCP, noticed I was commenting on the thread during Billy’s Poetry Broadcast, and kindly asked me to join the group. I had no idea of its existence. I am so glad she found me. And I’ve been here ever since. Someone said we are family. Yes, we are family.



One of my Covid activities was hunting for used Billy Collins books on eBay, and giving them a new home. I looked for bookseller specials where you could by three books and get one free, it took a lot of juggling and maneuvering to get the titlesI wanted. But I was patient as I had nothing but time. I have an armload of them now. Not quite every book he’s ever published, but pretty close.


I bought this used form SecondSale in Illinois. What I want to know is who is Bill? How did he know Billy? And why did he give it away? 



What’s funny about this book  I bought from SecondSale on eBay is that it traveled all the way across the United States from Illinois back to the place where it was originally sold. Copperfield’s is in Sebastopol, the town I live in. And it’s even signed. I did not expect that. A serious bonus.


I always love the random surprise bits you find in used books. That breakfast poem reference.

No comments: