Friday, November 11, 2022

NIGHT-BLOOMING CEREUS


A busy moth led me to a night-blooming cereus 
lit by moonlight behind a low lava wall.
My cousin said the fragrant pānini-o-ka-punahou
blooms but once a year, and dies at dawn.
I leaned in to taste the intoxicating odor,
but it let go of its mooring and fell to the ground,
a fallen star or perhaps an angel. So I saved it,
and wore it in my hair the next morning, 
to witness the full eclipse of the sun, 
at Puʻuhonua o Hōnaunau, the place of refuge.
We watched the black sun become a vast flower 
surrounded by stars and solar winds as the birds 
and fishes slept in during that second false dawn.
Seeking asylum, I let the blossom go in the coral sea 
to dream among the honu turtles and seastars.

11/11/22

First draft:  uI once met a night blooming cereus on a stone wall in Kona, not expecting it. i sniffed it, and it fell to the ground. So I saved it and wore it in my hair the next morning, while watching a full eclipse of the sun. Then I let it go into the sea. From a Facebook post of Mark Nassar’s.

No comments: