Thursday, February 3, 2022

Hot water in the house


When I was young, we had a small Spark stove in butter-colored enamel on shapely celadon cabriole legs associated with Queen Anne or Chippendale furniture. It had a gallon kerosine jug (an old repurposed paisano wine jug) for fuel that hung on the top left side of the stove that went glug-glug-glug when the burner was lit. I used to lie on the floor with my legs under the stove, where it was warm, and watch the bubbles rise. It had an oven and a woodbox too. I remember my grandmother boiling the weekly bathwater in an old oval copper tub that would be worth a bomb today. She eventually replaced the old stove with a 1940s Wedgewood which was way more modern. It had matching salt and pepper shakers and a clock that didn’t work. But that was OK as we were entrenched in another time. We had to get a propane tank to go with it. And with that we finally had hot water in the house.

2/3/22

No comments: