Then, since I share the same name as my mother, I began to notice that her name appeared in searches as well. I didn’t even know Sausalito had a newspaper, or that my late mother directed a children’s play, Rapunzel, for the Gate Playhouse Theatre. She starred as a startlingly scary witch in Hansel and Gretel, an image that forever scarred the psyches of Sausalito children who attended the weekly matinees during 1959-61.
But as I searched, I noticed that there doesn’t seem to be a way of accessing several newspapers for free, specifically the Marin IJ, or rather Marin Daily Journal (when did the name change? 1972.) I was looking for articles on the Gate Playhouse productions, Speck McAuliffe’s Lagunitas Lodge—and other West Marin/SGV stories—including a play I was in at Lagunitas School, as my sole clipping of the play was destroyed when my aunt moved my treasure box to an open window in the basement one wet winter, effectively destroying all my childhood memorabilia. (MDJ, Dec. 9, 1961, page 23, or Dec 11, 1961, page 51.)
But as I searched, I noticed that there doesn’t seem to be a way of accessing several newspapers for free, specifically the Marin IJ, or rather Marin Daily Journal (when did the name change? 1972.) I was looking for articles on the Gate Playhouse productions, Speck McAuliffe’s Lagunitas Lodge—and other West Marin/SGV stories—including a play I was in at Lagunitas School, as my sole clipping of the play was destroyed when my aunt moved my treasure box to an open window in the basement one wet winter, effectively destroying all my childhood memorabilia. (MDJ, Dec. 9, 1961, page 23, or Dec 11, 1961, page 51.)
Not so long ago, I used to be able to freely search the Marin IJ archives via the internet, and now everything is locked up tighter than a tick. When did all that paywall happen? Another newspaper, the Sacramento Bee, is also locked up as tight. An article about my mom, when she was with the Music Circus, Guys and Dolls, and The Student Prince, with her friend Lloyd Bridges. Yes, Mr. Sea Hunt. (SB, July 26, pp. 9, and 56.) I’m sure there is more on her, but it’s so hard to find anything when the search process is crippled by myriad paywalls these days.
Very sad, and frustrating, it seems Newspaper.com has gobbled up all the archived newspaper sites. It’s as bad as the ancestry sites monetizing everything—then attempting to sell back to me images I scanned and uploaded elsewhere, is infuriating. Or Getty Images snatching up all those formerly free photo archives, even going after, and attempting to charge photographers to use their own images. It’s maddening to see your name in print, from the pre-internet days, and then not be able to access it. A to-do list. Meanwhile, the awesome resource librarian at the Marin County Free Library gave me a free link to California digital newspapers: https://cdnc.ucr.edu/
![]() |
| https://www.newspapers.com/clip/58975096/lagunitas-school-play-dec-11-1961/ |
Well, that was not what I was expecting for the school play. Apparently I was in it, but don’t remember a thing. The Stable Boy by Stu Rasmussen. Perhaps I was in the chorus. I had asked the Marin County librarian to research an article on an historical school play, San Geronimo, also by Stu Rasmussen. I played the lead female role, Julia Mailliard, with Richmond Young as my suitor. How I got the lead is a story unto itself—as I was not chosen for a principal part. The chosen girls refused to play opposite Richmond because he was—different. Cruel young bullies in action. I remember being annoyed with my classmates and I stepped up to the plate with a flounce, and Stu immediately handed me the lead. I still remember my lines. Stu’s son, Mark Rasmussen, went onto Juliard and the big lights of Broadway with Robin Williams, and Joel Blum. Mark was the dude in the hot tub holding the peacock feathers in Cyra McFadden’s The Serial.












No comments:
Post a Comment