Friday, August 17, 2012

A Maxfield Parrish sunset like no other


Did anyone catch the sunset tonight? My weenie flip cellphone (with serious technical issues) decided it wasn't gonna turn on, no matter what. So, sadly, no photo. I took mental pictures. What an incredible silhouette of Mt. Tam and the Bay replete with clouds that were etched straight out of a Maxfield Parrish painting. Weirdly there was also a hint of rain in the air—so we also had angel wings and buttermilk clouds lit from behind, glowing in shades of alizarin and woad. I raced home to get my cameras but I was too late. The sky had turned to dull pewter.

Susan Wooldridge said that were beams of light streaking out from "bimulous" clouds—it looked like a William Blake! Nothing like a little display of Godlight refracting through a sieve of clouds. Or smoke. So do ya think all that Chevron pollution is a contributing factor to that glorious sunset? It surely set the imagination afire. Jack Glider managed to get a photo from San Francisco but his fine photo was nowhere near as intense as what I witnessed.

Nice photo Jack Gilder! Did you snap any others? 
Tonight, I'll be at the ready
with my camera in hand. 
But no sunset was ever as grand
as last night's cloud confetti.

from a FB post, somewhat revised. Added 8/19

No comments: