Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Heavy Roadwork alarm clock

Some alarm clock. Awoke to the sound of heavy combos—well, bulldozers and backhoes, jackhammers and saws, and all manner of large strange trucks tearing up the street like carnivorous beasts at a feeding frenzy. EBMud is doing some major open pit mining, pulling sewer lines up. Me, tealess (no water), still in my plaid flannel nightie, moving my car from harm's way from behind the trucks, orange cones, roadblocks, yellow tape, TV crew & camera. My car heaves and groans and scrambles over debris, like bucking over curbs—the street has sunk! 3rd day w/o DSL, where's me tea? Not in my hand. Lightbulb: Water stashed in the car, in the garage. Tea in hand. Now for the business of waking up and getting on with it. No water at all—not even hot—was a bit of a surprise. Luckily, I had run some water in a milk glass yesterday, that cloudy water was my face washing water, and my toothbrush water.

I was talking to one EBMUD worker: "Hell of an alarm clock you've got there," I said. He roared with laughter. They began jackhammering at 4 AM. Somehow I managed to "sleep" until 6 AM. When I left at 7 AM, the hole was about 8 feet deep and 20 feet across. SOOOooo glad Channel 2 camera did not catch me crossing behind the camera in my red flannel nightie. I was not awake, & was trying to get to my car before it got knee deep in mud.
I seem to recall hearing demented streetsweepers drag racing their broom zambonis up and down the street at 4 AM. They're still drilling down down down...down the street, another hole. We're all on howdy basis.

Sending this from an open wifi signal. Good morning Vietnam! Off to SJ to teach art to kids.

No comments: