Seamus’ palms are pale suns
as he points to his dance trophies
but his body turned against him
and when he danced his swollen liver rebelled.
He recites an alphabetic litany of letters for hepatitis
says D&E, F&G are twin diseases
he recites a litany of drugs that keep him on this earthly plain
They say the guard assigned to Evita Peron went crazy
looking at her gold hair spread out like a sun
and he took her as she lay in the sarcophagus
Bingham thought he found
the lost Inca city of the virgins of the sun
I waited three hours to wait for the mist to clear
before entering the sacred city
so that the gates would open.
On top of a mountain in northern China, a monk Wu Sha
was gilded by fellow monks for what transgression
or enlightenment, the story is lost, only the verb remains.
At the hitching post of the sun
he pointed to the four sacred mountains.
In the Atacama desert I stood in a sandy trough
holding pot shards in one hand
and what I thought was an animal jaw
in the other hand, was human
and I looked at those teeth
grinning at me and waiting…
2002/06
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment