NATURAL SELECTION, II
—from Maggie Anderson's workshop
—from Maggie Anderson's workshop
Desert willows guard the footbridge to another world
with a cacophony of graygreen leaves
while the honey locust spreads
its ordered palmate structure in lacy patterns.
California Fan Palm is rooted deep into the faultline
and grows as close as it can to the fire
where boiling water burbles out of the earth
while stinging nettles of the northern latitudes
lean into the perpetual shade on the cold bank
and remember an age of ice and perpetual winter.
But the datura of oblivion chooses
the wash of the desert wadi as its dream.
Maybe I should seek its counsel, or go mad.
Where am I today with one foot in each stream
I can't decide whether to stay or go
whether to write poetry or prose
Am I done with poetry or is it done with me?
I let the next thing to cross my path
guide me and offer instructions.
The first is a bluebird flitting after flies,
the other is a pileated woodpecker
jackhammering holes into the pulpwood
drilling deeper, do it again.
But the voices of both streams gurgle in unison
they offer no solace, no sage advice
nor do they drown the stinging words.
A red dragonfly bleeds against the thermal pool
algae plants itself in vermillion & verde
three cottonwood leaves float, sun yellow
a raft of two crow feathers eclipses them.
Murmur of voices in a room, a steady stream of words.
Fear of change keeps me rooted here.
The moment of change is the only poem.
Maggie says that exact moment of change
that moment when we're neither here nor there.
That is where the poem lies.
Maureen Hurley 9/7/2007
Warner Springs Ranch
No comments:
Post a Comment