Wednesday, November 24, 2004

TURKEY BIRTHDAZE

TURKEY BIRTHDAZE

’T’was the day before Thanksgiving
and all through the houses
plump turkeys were thawing, not petit grouses!
Though the cupboards were groaning
all the tables were laid bare. What? No carousing?
My birthday comes but once a year.
"We forgot," cried relatives and spouses
to friends and neighbors moaning in thin air.
They scolded their watches & their PDAs too,
"it's not that we don't care. Really, we do.
Forgive us. We really forgot. It wasn't a plot.
Forgive us, our memory's got dry rot. Or ergot.
We'll make it up to you at Christmas. Never fear."
Lest I complain, "let them eat crow," (or cake)
one year, even my mom forgot, alas, heartbreak!
I don't hold my breath lightly, nor do I lend an ear,
for tomorrow will come when pigs learn to fly
by all those pumpkin and mince pies in the sky
without gobbling them up, none for the throngs.
So much for the promises of yesteryear—
or even next year. Now, don't get me wrong.
Indeed I long for that glutton of a beast
with all the trimmings of a glorious feast.
I dispense fowl blessings reiterated with grace.
Hope springs eternal, so I save a small place
for dessert — because it might be a bit of cake.
OK, I’m quirky if I confuse turkeys with candles.
And tomorrow when we dismantle the big bird
I’ll blow out the drumstick with a wing and a prayer.
I won’t let this bailiwick of a pilgrim’s parlance,
betrayer of fowlish deeds, with dissonance absurd
occlude my birthday with a yam dance. Not a chance!
Conclude your fawning and hemming and hawing.
Pass the blasted dressing. For next year, never fear
my birthday will reappear on Thanksgiving Day. OK?
Pity my poor cousin born on Christmas Eve
and not to grieve on such a moveable feast.

11/24/2004

No comments: