I did a poetry lesson at the local school and silk after
school, we did hoops for the annual spaghetti feed art auction that raises
money for the school—and the arts program. It's so fun when everybody bids on
these big barrels of wine... California's finest...and the wine flowed liberally
indeed...at the Alexander Valley grange, at the foot of Mt St Helena, under a
full moon, coyotes singing in the distance...after a dismal winter, hope
returns in the tattered jackets of flowers by the roadside.
I passed the math(s) test! Something I've never beem able to
do...I can't believe I had to wait until I was 51 to pass a math test! Only now
is my mind ready...I too hated writing, didn't write at all until I was 30,
then something happened...a dam burst, maybe it's because in art, I have no
words, just color and light and shape.
At present, I am reorganizing my silk supplies...got a lot
of stuff on Fri...I feel like King Midas recycling the gold gutta....actually
I'm stalling/ procrastinating on my SPIN square...acaicias (wattles?) in bloom,
and my eyes/nose(s!) running. welcome to spring.
When writing, write faster than you can think...it's usually
better that way Besides the big censor kicks into overdrive if you give it the
time. Me? I take no prisoners! I'm dyslexic so it's interesting, if not
odd that I write as well. I
believe that with art as a basis, that one can learn, become proficient in
writing. You already have the honed skills. Words are just a new kind of dye.
But hey, the
moonlight was incredible over Alexander Valley, coyotes serenading the
full moon in a distant canyon, the daffodils nodding their heads in the Chinook
breeze (we plant them by the rural
roadsides here for cancer victims, etc. It began as a fundraising campaign, a
dollar a bulb, and now Marin and Sonoma County roadsides are ablaze with
yellow.
After 9/11, many people planted a bulb for each of the fallen. In our
small church yard in Nicasio (think George Lucas territory), thousands of
blooms nodding their heads in agreement.)
I not only have math anxiety, but I have math rage...I get homicidal
when I read some of the inane trick questions...and wonder what's the point of
testing us? So many math questions are so poorly written and I have dyslexia
and so I have to be ultra careful with the reading part. Then if my eye sees a
number, it does strange computing—that has nothing to do with the problem. It's
like I'm schizophrenic when it comes to math in that I have moments of
lucidity, amid hours of confusion... (did you ever see Beautiful Mind with that
gorgeous man, Russell Crowe?)
When it comes to math, I do absolutely nonsensical stupid
mistakes ...though I understand how to solve them. Then the shytes who make
these (teacher) tests, make up questions where they don't even want the answer,
they want you to come up with another alternative (algebra) I mean who cares as
long as you understand the problem and can solve it.
I saw a (woman, thank god)
math tutor who was fascinated by the way I solved problems...she said she was
classically trained, and me, well, I circle as an artist does, from an oblique
angle. (how's that for a rant???) Oops. I beg your pardon... Lately I've taken
to cracking codes and dropping cyphers off in abandoned warehouses...(just
kidding).
OK, so here's the burning question: so why does everyone
refer to math in the plural, schizophrenia, royals, or because there are many
forms of math(s)? Where is Pythagoras when you need him? I actually discovered
I was good at and liked geometry...of course, we artists understand form/volume
at the ground level, right?
Alas, the PO is closed now, so I'll send gorgeous
rainbow colored pens out via carrier pigeon tomorrow!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment