ENDGAME
...found
a body republic... —Sesshu Foster
Finding my lost writing notes to taste,
garden snails sampled the corners of the page,
but dog-eared paper thwarts any attempts
to tame an unruly kingdom of paper.
I
think in mnemonics: Kings played chess...
What phylum of mollusc covets a taste for fingered corners
where I’d penned a temporary pledge of allegiance
to Sesshu Foster’s republic of the body?
They paid particular attention to the “p” in “pledge,”
rimming the place where I had crossed out “body” for “sex.”
But left untouched the place where I wrote:
“by which it stands, indivisible from nature.”
Maybe it’s a taste for ledges or lead, not Latinate
structure,
or pickled fingerprints that attracted them.
As if in answer, they chewed on an article speculating
on chromatic emotions and cephalopod sentience,
shunning the newspaper headlines ablaze with war headlines
to calligraph another kingdom across a rugged terrain of
laundry.
while
the mind toys with: ...on fine grain sand
We
used to sprinkle salt on them,
&
listened to the hiss and sizzle of green flame,
indifferent
to their agony.
What class of sentence, what order of word
tempted snail cognoscenti to gather at the garden gate
beneath a full moon or street lamp?
What family of noun or genus of verb feeds them
as they pledge allegiance to the continuation of their
species
beneath a moonlit republic of mollusk self?
9/16/03
9/16/03
No comments:
Post a Comment