VICTOR JARRA SPEAKS:
I remember how doves circled
the stadium walls
counterclockwise against the
light.
Endless flight, white
against clouds.
No, I was not aware. Yes.
The sun at noon.
I remember the sound of dry
husks breaking.
The body of a guitar, so
like a woman we can never possess.
Walking the fields. The odor
of bruised rosemary.
They have broken her. A fist
slammed into a side of beef.
Splintered rain. And then,
more rain. A pipe against flesh. Dull.
You ask how many angels on a
pinhead? Las Trovistas.
Duerme, duerme negrito,
Papa va en el campo....
No, I did not dream, ever.
The doves, they... The midnight knock.
Me voy en el campo de los
sueños. Me voy en el paiz del muerte.
A revolution. The simplest
of weapons:
A voice, a guitar, a message
makes a martyr.
My voice took flight, sought
refuge in the past,
it flew into the future, it
escaped these prison walls.
Ordinary things. I remember.
Angelito, mi hijo.
The purity of doves settling
on bright rivers of blood on stone.
Under torture, the rational
mind confesses to circumstantial evidence.
When the Junta took my
hands, they... Yes. The light. They flew, they...
Sometimes I could see my own
face reflected in cesspools
in chrome, or in the dark
secret layer beneath their polished boots.
So I could remember who I
once was. Yes, September, 1973. Etched in stone.
Military time. Dancing the cueca. Pinochet and poor Allende.
Interrogation. The way they
approached it like a call to prayer.
As if something holy and
profound. And then, the cruel smile.
No. The answers weren’t
enough. They are never enough.
That kind of silence before
the thin scream that escapes the lips...
There are degrees of
victimhood. It isn’t hard to humiliate or to be humiliated.
Benediction, yes. Tell me one thing that one man will not do to
another.
Children of Pinochet, yes.
Those who survived. No, they...
Evita on display like a
beautiful wax doll.
But it was a deja vu of death mocking the living.
Repentence? No amount of
revenge can satisfy our sad country.
In any regime, the poets are
always the first to go.
The words of lambs before
the slaughter.
No, I didn’t remember. Mis
manos, mis pobres...
Hell is paved like the
prison cell. Si. La música, el corazón.
There is so much I don’t
remember. The deaad rise.
Can’t remember, my mind
broken, like my hands, they...
But still I sang, I sang, my
voice escaped El Estadio,
it fled to the sky when they
took my hands,
but not my will. And still
my voice could be heard
singing throughout the city
long after I was gone.
Yes. Si, si. Even death could not take my voice.
Singing Santiago de
Chile, mi tierra. Por la libertad.
Yes. I would raise the
stumps of these arms to embrace them all.
For my songs are the
children of memory.
4/2/03 rev. 5/12
No comments:
Post a Comment