ON INTERNATIONAL WOMENS' DAY
I was having dinner at a
friend's,
at the old Forest Knolls
post office,
we were a gathering of women
and children,
feasting on salmon and
talking of resistance:
of marching & writer
friends, Maxine, Susan,
women warriors handcuffed
for loitering at the White House.
I'd just walked the
Lagunitas School playground
where we lined up to witness
the test bombs at Jackass Flats,
where we prepared for
nuclear bombs by hiding under our desks.
It was as if no time at all
had passed: I was in 5th grade
and we imagined the coming
millennium.
But I couldn't get past the
year 2003,
an unnameable terror had
seized me
and I forsaw darkness and
destruction....
I had a hard time leaving
behind that nightmare...
Then at dinner, the
floodgates of memory opened,
and here we are, the dogs of
war slouching toward Bagdhad.
A friend sends me emails
(amidst penile & breast enlargement spams
cleverly disguised as an
exonumia of mortages & loans.
It says: “don't pay any
more” but it opens into promises
of “superb fresh breasts”
and “lust, sex & no commitment”)
and how shall we pay? With
handcuffs? Jeb Bush hands out cigars
when the bomb test is
declared a success—
MOAB, the “mother of all
bombs” for the “mother of all battles.”
And angered by such blatant
sacrilege, I fear the worst,...
Inexplicably, Conrad’s Heart
of Darkness comes to mind:
I can’t make it out: “Mistah
Kurtz, he dead.” Then, “The horror. The horror.”
My friend writes about how
the Stocton Street Tunnel
will serve as gathering site
should the bombs begin to fall
or perhaps it will serve as
a bomb shelter or a masoleum
when it comes
when it comes
when it comes...
She says: Oh, baby, it's
going to be alright. I know this is scary and hard but we—and millions like
us—know how to love, and we will know how to love, no matter what happens.
Energy created cannot be destroyed. More life, to you, a chara, and to us all, more life, more life,
more life...
3/11/03
No comments:
Post a Comment