Monday, October 21, 2002

SACRIFICE (draft—missing text—no hard copy)


SACRIFICE 

there it was, the song 
of the broody pullet 
growing stronger each morning 
from the apartment balcony 
my wake up call, 
familiar out of childhood,
crooning hen
as she tried out her song
from her perch on third story 
an incongruous pastorality 
in the neighborhood
both waked and soothed us 
and kept us anchored t
o the rhythms of the past
But when the woman
began to sing on the balcony
the chicken’s song rose to terror pitch
as I watched the shadow on the wall
the woman sang raising her left hand
then her right with the chicken in it 
three times to the east
then silence. The motion 
hypnotized the chicken....

10/21/02

This is one of those ASCII swallowed poems. I was able to save this much, but not the ending.  I don't think I have a hard copy either. 


more ASCII orphans

My cousin and I call our aunts “bags”; we’re bags in training....so I can relate to the handbag...after all, the ubiquitous backpack (this is where I usually break out into o a rousing chorus of broody chicken calls to the consternation of my neighbors...

did I mention the Eretreans have taken to slaughtering chickens every Sunday from a balcony in downtown Oakland? You can tell when the drums begin to pulse.)

The river of cars on 580 slowed to a trickle
not the raging current of the workweek

No comments: