A FOOT ON EACH CONTINENT
For
Charles O’Neill October 30, 1926 to January
22, 1997
A man caught between the old
world and the new,
straddles the fine lines
that time offers up
at the death of the father
and the preciousness of life
becomes a gift daily given.
He asks, “Without a regular
supply of grace
is one left in the ego… just
to wonder why?”
I have no ready answers, The
orb of the sun
sinks into the small of the
back: Inverness Ridge
marks the equinox, and
Tomales bay shivers—
caught between the tug of
time
and the milk-pale moon
rising over a salmon-hued ridge.
He says, “This land owns me.
I’ve lived here before,
maybe as a Spanish padre.” His
talk of monks alarms me.
As if I’d suffered enough in
a past life at the hands of a priest.
I shudder, someone walking
on my grave.
He says, “Tomales Bay could
be back home in Scotland.”
Steals small bits of the
bay’s soul with his camera.
I imagine the monster
beneath the waves.
We take shelter in a copse
of bay trees,
where, on my birthday, he
conjured the face
of a shadowed bride, and
contemplated
the relentless of mindful of
living.
We watch the the earth’s
shadow swallow the blue moon.
As we round the tump, the
goats let out a plaintive cry
of recognition, of long lost
kin claiming us like children
lamenting our passing. The
loss of the father
buried in the sacrificial richness
of tall oat grasses,
they nibble at the scotch
thistles curling about our feet.
Already Neil is shimmering,
an apparition
having been taken captive as
our ancestors have done,
surely, for centuries on
end. Reilly and O’Neill
on Irish battle fields,
thickening blood ties into saga and legend.
The wind luffs and lifts his
kilt as I raise the camera to eye level.
I will never see proof of
this moment trapped on film
for the indelible ink of
memory has tattooed it
onto the chambers of my
heart for safekeeping.
In this, everything becomes
practice for saying goodbye.
The goats are sorry for our
going away,
but soon they will drop
their heads to the grass,
continue on with the business
of living.
3/23/97 Palm Sunday,
Eclipse
Moon rising just after the Vernal Equinox, Marconi Station
No comments:
Post a Comment