dreaming of a time when childhood
held the meaning of magic.
Hopefully there, you'll become
part of the memory.
Be one mile above the coastal ridges
Be one mile above the coastal ridges
where you were conceived,
on Mount Tamalpais's body at sunset,
after the wedding.
Remember there are no accidents.
Be one mile north of your heart.
Watch its struggle,
Be one mile north of your heart.
Watch its struggle,
necessary growth requires the shedding of pain.
Layer by layer,
onion tears to cleanse the wound
of the father and the mother.
Be one mile above Forest Knolls,
Be one mile above Forest Knolls,
the hill your family's owned a hundred years,
the big rock like a phallus jotting out,
the ravines, his legs.
your house at his feet
if Mount Tam is a woman
if Mount Tam is a woman
then surely this ridge is a man.
This is the way of things.
Be above the road that leads you home,
This is the way of things.
Be above the road that leads you home,
named after an English pirate.
Remember how the Estero
Remember how the Estero
uncovered the old wood, the square nails,
and you dreamed this was part of his legacy.
Yes, the plaque was fake.
But the idea of Nova Albion
But the idea of Nova Albion
and the ache of those white cliffs
seeking the cadence of speech with the sea's voice.
It told you of other stories:
How the Miwoks dressed in fine embroidered silk
How the Miwoks dressed in fine embroidered silk
and ate shellfish from the Chinese blue bowls.
When a trader ship foundered on the craggy shores,
Point Reyes was the foggiest place in America,
but all you can remember is the sun
christening this island in time.
The point of the three Kings, Little Christmas.
Be one mile above Creamery Bay and Home Bay.
Be one mile above the sunken valleys
where you want to skim across their surface
in bidarkas. Perhaps the Russians already did this,
but where you were raised is rich in sea nurseries
on an otherwise inhospitable coast.
Hover above the wild purple irises in spring
and remember you carry this place within you always,
that it wasn't a sin to be born here,
not knowing the concept of beauty until you left in exile,
expelled from the garden by those with more money.
For, in your dreams, beauty walks before you
in these wild coastal hills that you call home,
having called this place home for ages untold.
12/4/1995
This is one of those success stories, where I found the other half of the poem in a journal. The ending was MIA, lost due to an ASCII electronic mishap. For some reason, when I began this massive electronic blog back-up task in 10/2015, I only had 6 somewhat intact electronic pieces total for 1995. Reason to also have paper backup... which I didn't have on this poem. (Only Arc with its 40 entries, representing the bulk of my work in 1995, is in hard copy).
I was also able to correct the missing creation date. Thrills all around. But here are the jpgs, just in case.
This is one of those success stories, where I found the other half of the poem in a journal. The ending was MIA, lost due to an ASCII electronic mishap. For some reason, when I began this massive electronic blog back-up task in 10/2015, I only had 6 somewhat intact electronic pieces total for 1995. Reason to also have paper backup... which I didn't have on this poem. (Only Arc with its 40 entries, representing the bulk of my work in 1995, is in hard copy).
I was also able to correct the missing creation date. Thrills all around. But here are the jpgs, just in case.



No comments:
Post a Comment