Friday, December 31, 1993

FATHER HAIKU


RETIREMENT

the day after his birthday, heartsore—
in the wrinkled sheets, death found him
sleeping in the cloistered darkness of the morgue
weeks later, the electric blanket incubated
a rusted carpet of kleenex blooms


BREAKING THE CORONER’S SEAL

beneath the stained mattress
one blank bullet in the gun—
a drowned halo of light in the waterglass


A DECADE  SINCE I SAW HIM

the embalmer gets his mouth all wrong—
with a red rose on the white satin pillow
I say goodbye to the parent of my Akhmatova nose


TO THE FATHER I NEVER KNEW:

the word rests uneasily on my lips—
suddenly jealous of the young man 
who said, He was like a father to me


FAMILY PLOT

where the dead outnumber the living
our shadows circle the casket clockwise
shards of sunlight & whispering feet


LAST DAY OF THE YEAR

after the funeral
I dream of crawling over pictographs
in the desert to find some rest


THICKER THAN WATER

I dream my father’s candle is out—
the slim, musty book he hands back to me
to prove his blood          and mine

My aunt said: He's trying to pleas you.


 DUTIFUL DAUGHTER

welfare child, never saw him much
his precious money went to a stranger
my final inheritance—other than my life


12/31/93

No comments: