Friday, January 29, 1993

Teaching journal, 1/93 Two Rock School


SchoolTeaching journal, 1/93 at Two Rock School I read a poem about a mask to stop war, forgetting for a moment where I was. This is a military base. It keeps coming up, the gulf war revisited. Seeking safer ground, I asked the students where are the two rocks were at Two Rock. They tell me the rocks are  fenced off by the Coast Guard station. They’re in prison, doing time. A father in uniform comes in to speak to his second grade son, a mother, also in uniform drops off her child. We talk about the moon and making copies of poems. I feel like I’m on the moon. Some kids don’t even know English yet so I babble in third grade Spanish. There are Many codes here. Cattle, dairy, eggs, chicken, soldiers, civilian and military government laws and systems. The kids write of their feelings, stones, rocks and missiles. Again there’s trouble in Iraq. Anniversaries are cyclical, two years ago today, we marched in protest to the invasion of Iraq. I think Bush is truly insane. It’s not a war we can win.

No comments: