TAMING THE MINOTAUR dream sequence
I was buying 2nd hand sheets in the Avignon pattern
I will only have to pay my grandmother
for what I take with me
for what I take with me
but I have to wash them first
I'm sorting my jewelry in the wet black dirt
by stone and color and metal
Sifting through my heritage—
Sifting through my heritage—
a hammered brooch with a ruby garnet
the triangle of the goddess
the triangle of the goddess
like an eye, the eye of the bull in Sephanie's barn
and I'm washing my jewelry at the laundromat
My mother comes out,
I'm afraid she'll steal them and we're fighting
I'm afraid she'll steal them and we're fighting
I scream do you know what it's like
to be the daughter of a schizophrenic?
to be the daughter of a schizophrenic?
the shame, and in public
she gets more outrageous,
she gets more outrageous,
it's an act I tell her, we are close to blows
my truck turns into a horse
wheeling and snorting when I try to get near.
wheeling and snorting when I try to get near.
Inside my truck is my bed but it is frozen
I want to put my amulets
and jewelry in it but it won't let me
and jewelry in it but it won't let me
I can't return them to the frozen womb.
when my brother chases it, it makes it worse
he challenges the monster into the barn
a great dark beast with foliage
sage shaking from his body
the Minotaur come thundering out of his lair.
I'm hanging from two meathooks on the barn wall
as he smashes into it, his hot breath on my heels
my brother tricks it into another ring
he continues to run until he severs a foreleg
and turns into a small bronze bull
but still we can't stop him
even on three legs he charges
why were we teasing him, coaxing him
out of the darkness when he was in a pure rage
no reasoning here
we had to transform him, capture him
so he wouldn't ambush us
he said, this is where my father
enters into the relationship
enters into the relationship
when it gets real.
This is where my mother enters into it
This is where my mother enters into it
the shame of family madness
I won't carry the burden,
I owe that allegiance to myself.
I owe that allegiance to myself.

No comments:
Post a Comment