RUSH HOUR
As we approach the Bay Bridge toll plaza
the guy driving the red Honda
finishes up a close shave. Pats his cheeks.
In another lane, a man is poring over
the stock exchange, the newspaper
slumped over the steering wheel like a blanket.
He's squinting, I worry about his eyesight,
and the relative safety of driving during rush hour.
I finish off my apple down to the core.
Spin it on its axis. El mundo.
Two Mexicans roll down their window
and ask, Si? and laugh. Please.
Another driver adjusts his headphones,
taps out a complicated beat on his steering wheel
with dueling pens. I can see that he's a drummer.
Everybody's multi-tasking while driving
in their hermetically sealed cars.
I'm the only one with my car window open,
and I worry about what eating happy meals
while commuting does to one's digestion.
I marvel at the dexterity of those businessmen
while I, the poet, haphazardly scribe it all down
between the blue lines of my notebook,
glancing up at the last minute, just in time
to see the warning flash of the red taillights
of the car in front of me.
4/21/1986
added/rev. 2/17
No comments:
Post a Comment