Wednesday, January 1, 1986

Fish postcard, "Love from the Tropic of Cancer," watercolor, collage on morillaboard

Love from the Tropic of Cancer, 1986

The Dean of Humanities at Sonoma State University, William Babula, bought this piece. I was pretty chuffed, and also sad to see it go. This is a hand-colored black and white xerox, as I didn't have a photo of it. It came out of my journey to Cabo San Lucas with John Oliver Simon in 1985. I had originally made it for him (I made him another one) but I also needed a piece to enter the art show (due at the beginning of January, hence the post date.)

I also made a series of morillaboard fish boxes into a mobile that turned and swam in the slightest breeze.

This project eventually morphed into my large silk poem posters. But it all began here. With this piece.

FWIW, I am posting my art in January (art hearts) or December (all the rest of my art) as there usually isn't a firm date associated with any of it. It's easier for me to find my art that way. If I was traveling, and the art was in my poetry journal, then I have a solid date, and have embedded the art in the journal entry.

No comments: