Thursday, August 9, 1984

PU'UHONUA O HONAUNAU


Today I walked in the city of refuge
where only royalty was allowed to live,
the commoner was stoned to death
for even casting a shadow in this place.
I look behind me, in the muted sun
I cast no shadow in the city of refuge.
I place my hand on the lava wall
and find the silence of the grave.

A mongoose sits on the wall
watches with golden eyes.
Workers are dressing the stones.
Ohia is the first tree to grow
on the newly made land.
Carla and Marilyn make tapa cloth
from mulberry bark, paint them
with a lost geometric language.
Ron and Tony dress ohia wood
for a totem they are carving of the god
who oversees the offerings of food
to feed the other gods.
I am hungry for words.

8/9
Pu'uhonua o Honaunau, the place of refuge
added, rev. 9/17

No comments: