Dennis Banks and Abby Hoffman
are the only real heroes left.
Do you remember when you realized
you were going to die?
The oppressor and the oppressed
Their women pass time
pressing strawberries between their thighs
The oppressor is always "they"
They have nothing better to do
than to watch their wives sitting at home
squashing strawberries between their thighs.
No strawberry sunday at the fountain
We're all shiksas looking for home
Nuptial
I bet you're so perfect
you don't even get junk mail.
As Richard plays the piano late at night
Coastal fog drips from pine trees
a morose foghorn sounds in the distance
Do we respond to those notes
Do we respond to those notes
the sounds we heard as children
What makes us respond to music?
Certain chords touching off the coastal fog
What makes us respond to music?
Certain chords touching off the coastal fog
dripping off Presidio Pines
and the forlorn cutting the fog
1984
When his hand grazes on my body
reality and memory cease
and all there is is the moment.
What I want to tell the fish
What I want to tell the fish
rolling in my bed at night
is that none of us can crawl back
to that place called home
no matter what coast we seek.
And the robins sings of smashed mates
the feathered triumph of my VW
mercilessly breaking the bondage of robins
April 1984
I am as innocent as I can afford to be – Howard Hart
I wish bad poems were more like clay pots
slumped at the wheel
Instead they're fired with air bubbles
Instead they're fired with air bubbles
trapped within the clay wall
and they explode in the kiln
or break with ease leaving us
to piece them back together,
our hands sticky with glue.
No date I'm guessing 1984
The sand shifting of time
This marriage of poetry and art
The infant weaving the woman's hourglass
The band bird is the color of white horses
I cover my eyes and speak
I cover my ears to see
I cover my mouth to love
My breast is laid bare
this clothing gathers them in.
I have been running for more than a year
in the act of running the rabbit legs lengthen
the ears elongate the ratio between ear and hind foot
measures the distance of fear.
Billowing loose from my shoulders
the hair at the nape of my neck
gives me chills, like the dead come to visit.
All words are suspect
prepubescent poetic intention
covering the eye, the ear
Aural intentions of the throat
The ancient sea voice whispering in my ear
Reminding me the shape of time
Aural intentions of the throat
The ancient sea voice whispering in my ear
Reminding me the shape of time
is woman shaped.
And I have hands to turn the glass
on its side
looking really looking into another's eyes
for the first time.
And as I gather up my infant body
covering the exposed flesh along the belly
where the outgrown clothes pull apart
revealing the darkness underneath
in fetal defiance my knees are raised to my chin
as I survey that mouth I want to kiss again and again
Our bodies never forget the touch of old lovers
After the honeymoon
After the honeymoon
I come away from the conference feeling both old –
the wasted time floundering on mnemonic chores
and doing that the last stages of my infancy
growing pains anchoring the honeymoon
is this another poem about about writing
how I bend over while driving to retrieve my hat
and the feathers licking my fingers greedily
as the car swerved into oncoming traffic
We are alive for such a short time
We are alive for such a short time
and the unfinished poems remind us
of the sand sifting through the hourglass
in the shape of a woman's body
Yet another year passes.
Yet another year passes.
that odor of tar weed and skunk,
the aging yellow edges of blank paper,
wanting to slip off the cliff
a feeling that lasts longer than the flight of poetry.
7/82 Napa Poetry Conference
Coyotes
7/82 Napa Poetry Conference
Coyotes
Five coyotes emerge out of darkness,
with strange square jaws with herbivore's teeth.
The coyote spoke to me but I couldn't understand—
it was a coyote dream. What did the coyote say?
added 9/2016
revised a bit as they don't make a lot of sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment