Monday, December 17, 1979

UNTITLED LOVE POEM seashells


UNTITLED LOVE POEM # 3

emptiness of seashells
mourning for the ocean
trapped within an ear--

my tongue traces snail patterns
in the dark


12/17/1979

2 comments:

Glenn Ingersoll said...

mourning of seashells
emptiness of ocean
trapped within a snail

my tongue silver in the dark

Maureen Hurley said...

Love it! I just posted a lot of old work during October & November, 2015. So this is the first time most of this writing has seen the light of day, or cyber light, as it were. This is my very early work, and I hadn't a clue as to what I was doing... Not knowing I was dyslexic, I just kept at it. It never dawned on me to write them upside down. LOL.

It's so tempting to revise this early stuff, but I resist (OK, so sometimes I will fix a word or two, but if I revise, I do try and note it.) I also don't want to get bogged down by trying to revise old work to current standards for fear of tossing the baby out with the bathwater. That said, I could lift and rewrite a few of these bits, if I had the inclination.

Just getting all this old writing online has been a momentous task. I've been sticking to posting finished work. That means it was typed and I thought enough of it at the time to put it out there in the world. Yeah, some of this stuff makes me cringe. But there you have it.

Then there is all the unfinished work in the journals.... see, the ink has been bleeding, and now some journals are almost impossible to read. I did have it in mind that I would revisit them in my old age and perhaps even revise some of that work. So far, I'm resisting...unless it's grossly wrong. Then I do try and note it with current date. So I have pieces written and posted in 1979 with 2015 dates. Sometimes I'm surprised by my own work from the distant past. Prose, however, is fair game. I do revise it (but also note the revision date).

How's your project going? Are you getting that old work online?

Onward,

Maureen