Monday, July 31, 2017

The day Sam Shepherd died


My mind works in peculiar ways on a good day. We were having a yard sale at my cousins' house in Nicasio and I was lamenting that everyone who stopped were strangers. But then it all changed. First the Peter Coyote lookalike dropped by and left empty-handed, then one of the McIsaacs from Tocaloma (Bud) stopped by. I told him I used to go out with Allan McIsaac. Suddenly it was old home week. And then I sold my toy spool Nessie to Phil Waddell for a buck, he was in a red car and the toy matched. He's from 71 Alta in Lagunitas. He said it was the house next to the one where all the musicians came to play....probably Jean Paul Picken's place, which led to a rather convoluted discussion of the good old days, to Big Brother & the Holding Company, to Janis, Herself (we lived near Barbano's summer camp on Arroyo) because meanwhile someone was wailing away on some blues number at the Rancho Nicasio, which led to a story on Ken Kesey, and the Diggers...which made me think of Lynn Deutra and the Forest Knolls Freestore in the basement of Ron and Marsha Thelin's old red house on Resaca. Which made me inexplicably think of Sam Shepherd. Don't ask. Even I can't make out that connection, other than I used to see him in Mill Valley when I worked for Mimi Fariña. Then I just found out that he died. You see how it goes? The old homes of memory. Circular breathing.

first draft

My mind works in peculiar ways on a good day. We were having a yard sale at my cousins house in Nicasio and I was lamenting that everyone who stopped were strangers. First the PC lookalike, then one of the McIsaacs from Tocaloma (Bud), and then I sold my Nessie fold toy to Phil Waddell for a buck, he's from 71 Alta (what was your house number in Lagunitas?), he said it was the house where all the musicians came to play....which led to a rather convoluted discussion of the good old days, to Big Brother, to Janis (we lived near Barbanos summer camp on Arroyo) because meanwhile someone was wailing away on some blues number at the Rancho Nicasio, which led to a story on Ken Kesey, and the Diggers...which made me think of Lynn Deutra and the Forest Knolls Freestore.... did you know Lynn? Which made me inexplicably think of Sam Shepherd. Don't ask. Even I can't make that connection, other than I used to see him in Mill Valley when I worked for Mimi Farina. Then I just found out that he died. You see how it goes? Memory?

No comments: