Friday, March 17, 2017

Grimm Parents


I guess we can thank the Brothers Grimm for the image of the evil stepmother motif. But I never had one. I had a Bohemian mother who was challenging parent, not a bonus in the traditional sense. She became an increasingly absentee parent by the time the Summer of Love rolled around. A Cinderella mother made of ashes and illusion, she became the evil stepmother, divorced from reality. During this time my grandmother was my real mother. My father was the eternally absent parent, the only place he could reliably be found was on a barstool in the Mission, well married to the bottle.


I guess we can thank the Brothers Grimm for the evil stepmother motif. I had a mother who was challenging parent, not a bonus in the traditional sense. My grandmother was my real parent. My father was absent parent, the only place he could be found was behind the bottle.

No comments: