Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Dear Google, Now Blogger?

The only warning I got that Blogger was being updated. I clicked yes, and Blogger disappeared.

Dear Google,

I see that you've changed Blogger this afternoon—right as I was working on a poem post. I can't say it was an upgrade as I lost all ability to see anything other than your Confidential/ "got it." pop-up windows. Luckily, I had saved my poem in another format. But all my formatting changes were lost.

Your design teams really need to do a better job on Google products—the upgrades are supposed to improve user experience, not frustrate us. I was an early supporter of Google products, and now I'm disgruntled enough to leave Google behind. Your last revamp of Blogger also left me out in the cold for long stretches of time. So now, finally everything's mostly working again, (except the gratuitous extra drafts it saves every time I make a correction) and you had to go and upgrade?

And now Blogger, my entire dashboard and related pages are a blank white field, replete with orange feedback button in lower right corner. I've sent you many of messages today, while trying to get back online to complete my post.

All I get is a blank white page when I try to access Blogger's All Posts, and Create Page, etc. The only thing I can access is the public page. I've tried everything from changing cookies, disabling extensions. dumping, caches, resetting Safari, restarting, and nothing works. The URLs are broken.

I agree, Blogger really does need a revamp, it sure was an ugly interface (what's with all the orange anyway?),  Now, it may be that Blogger no longer supports legacy Macs/Safari. But like with Gmail, it should at least continue to support basic legacy HTML.

Speaking of Gmail, the new iOS Gmail is a warthog of an app. It's cluttered and distracting, What's with all the extraneous red stuff? Are you trying to attract bulls to the proverbial china shop? I can't even do basic functions without emails taking off to the hinterlands. The clincher, the embedded hot links are dead. I can't access URLs. I finally had to delete the app from my iPad, as it deleted some important emails with no way to retrieve them. Steep learning curve by torture? A dungeons and dragons approach to email? Oops! Steep learning curve, I mean, black hole ahead.

I won't even mention what an utter dog's breakfast the new features are. Imagine receiving a password reset, and then not being able to access the URL. Imagine getting an email with a link to reset that password. Now imagine, a Gmail app so screwed up, that you can't access the URL in order to change your password. A weird nanny feature? Yeah, that was me two days ago. And, yes, I have the latest iOS update. I combed the settings, etc., looking for a way to fix the problem. Nada.

Since I was prompted to download the Google Photos app along with my new iOS Gmail app, I was presented with another form of hell, when Google Photos accessed ALL my iOS photos and dumped them into Google Photos. I use my iPad as a diary, I take photos of receipts, checks, etc. I DO NOT want them showing up in my Google Photos folder. I deleted them from Google Photos, only to discover they were also deleted from my iOS photo folder. Luckily, I was able to retrieve all 104 deleted photos.

And now I can no longer use Blogger. What sort of fresh hell establishment are you running over at Google these days?

I dislike Google+, and its attached Google Photos (see previous post) on the Mac, as it's too in your face to be of much use when looking at hundreds of photos at a time.  I am still smarting over the loss of Picasa. I HATE Google Photos, which is a terrible replacement for Picasa. In addition, I lost all my curated notes on my Picasa sites, with no warning. Had I known, I would've copied them. The irony is that some people still have access to their Picasa sites. Bring back Picasa, or fix Google Photos.

So, I'm thinking it's the death knell for you and me, Google, I've downloaded my blog, as it looks like I may need to move it to another platform. Sadly, I think I've had enough of your broken applications.

So, Google, what's next? Please expand your R&D base before trotting out changes that affect our lives. FWIW, I was eventually able to get back onto Blogger, by using a different web browser, but I prefer using Safari to Firefox for my Google applications. It's simple, clean, elegant. Something you should strive for in all your products.


Dear Google, about those 404 errors on Blogspot
Dear Google, Using Google Photos is Painful
Dear Google, Using Blogger is a Painful Experience...

3 comments:

meenahxoxo said...

Hi! I'm having the same problem with creating a post on my blog. How were you able to resolve this? What browser works for you? Is it the Firefox? What version?

Maureen Hurley said...

Hi meenahxoxo,

Firefox 48 is the last version supported by Snow Leopard (OSX 6.8), and so far, it works for Blogger. But, it's awkward and I have trouble switching back and forth, and logging in as I have another email associated with Firefox. A real pain.

Clearly some features work. I was able to post your comment, and am replying via Safari, so I suspect it's a sloppy or broken code at their end. If enough of us complain, maybe they'll fix it.

OK, I just checked it and it seems Create Post is now working in Safari 5.1.10. So maybe this is all moot. I also tried loading Blogger in a very tiny browser called Rocat, which is even more archaic than old Safari, but it often loads things that Safari won't.

So, give it another whirl, and see if you can load Blogger via Safari. Apple and other software designers would love for Snow Leopard to go away, but there are an astounding amount of us out there still stubbornly using Snow Leopard because it's elegant and STABLE! Did I mention stable?

ALso, older Macs, with 32-bit processors can not be upgraded past Snow Leopard. My old MacBook, for example. I also have lots of software that I use that won't work—even in Lion, as the code is different, and there is no longer a Rosetta Stone working behind the scenes. I even have Mavericks on another hard drive, and every time I use either OS, I am reminded of how much I hate the nanny aspect of the newer software.

I realize this is much more than you wanted to know. I think I'm still in shock that somebody's actually reading my blog, and that you even contacted me. Let me know if you have any luck accessing Blogger. I guess, I will be scraping egg off my face and thanking Blogger for fixing the code!

Maureen

Maureen Hurley said...

Dear Blogger,

OMG, you actually listened and fixed the broken code so I no longer get whiteout blizzard windows when I try to post a bloggy bit. Create Post is now working in Safari 5.1.10. YAY!!! All Posts works too. You have no idea how happy this makes me.

Yes, I was able to access Blogger via Firefox 48, the last version supported by Snow Leopard (OSX 6.8), and so far, it works. But, it's awkward and I have trouble switching back and forth, and logging in is problematic as I have another email associated with Firefox.

Also, older Macs, with 32-bit processors can not be upgraded past Snow Leopard. My old MacBook, for example—which I gave to my partner. I have a 2011 MacBookPro so I can upgrade to a newer OS, and Safari, BUT I also have lots of software that I use that won't work—even in Lion, as the code is different. I have Mavericks on another hard drive, and every time I use either OS, I am reminded of how much I hate the nanny aspect of the newer software. Just stop already.

I realize this is probably way more than you ever wanted to hear. I think I'm still in shock. But thank you. I needs must go, I am days behind on my blogging. Thank you thank you thank you... Did I say thank you. Shall I grovel?