Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Trudeau the Younger


“Many of you have worried that Canada has lost its compassionate and constructive voice in the world over the past 10 years. Well, I have a simple message for you on behalf of 35 million Canadians. We’re back.” —Justin Trudeau
When I was in Vancouver in August, I was shocked by how much Canada had changed: it was gritty, cynical, and contained all the negative attributes of the US, and those attitudes had supplanted what made Canada unique. OK, so Vancouver isn't all of Canada, but I could really see/feel the change. Not so much in Victoria (I was last there in 2009), but then, Victoria is a tourist destination. Easier to hide the homelessness and desperation. The Canadian dollar may be worth less than ours, but everything is grossly overinflated. Food costs an arm and a leg. Makes the homeless in Stanley Park fear for their limbs. Much of Vancouver is now owned by multinationals. Here's hoping the corporate tide can be reversed. I have visited Vancouver scores of times since the early 1970s, I was there before Gastown was turned into Ghirardelli Square North. When It still really was a rough neighborhood. I even slept out in Stanley Park. Different times.

No comments: