Wednesday, August 26, 2015

THE BEST REVENGE, RIGHT?

THE BEST REVENGE, RIGHT?

When I question my motives
as to why I lean so heavily upon memoir,
Pat Conroy's dark family secrets,
posing as fiction, came to mind.
He said you need to know
"...how to differentiate
between getting even
and getting it right,
telling off, and telling the truth,
and why we sometimes choose 
fiction over memoir."
That last one is where
I struggle the most,
the compulsion to tell
the truth as I perceive it,
is so enduring, so obdurate,
why it's hard to ameliorate
something as hard as stone.
Who might or might not be hurt
by my words, or if they would ever
even bother to read it.
It's always a gamble.
The dark truth over beauty.
I envy those fiction writers,
how they transcend those secrets.
But then there's always the unsaid:
Getting it right is the best revenge.
Funny, how Pat's father didn't think so.
As Pat's stories, like shining swords,
severed darkness from the past,
and yet still drew fresh blood,
he became a pugnacious apologist,
saying, That wasn't me. He said,
That wasn't me. That
wasn't me.... rubbing
salt into the wounds
of the past.


8/26/2015



Love this: challenge "how to differentiate between getting even and getting it right, telling off and telling the truth." The last one is where I struggle the most, the compulsion to tell the truth as I perceive it, is so enduring, it's hard to ameliorate.

August 26
Everyone tells you to write what you know, advice that often takes you into the perilous world of family and friends. Writer Jonathan Odell and I will talk about the perils and pitfalls of fictionalizing one’s kin, why we do it, how to differentiate between getting even and getting it right, telling off and telling the truth, and why we both sometimes choose fiction over memoir. Our literary agent Marly Rusoff will referee as we walk the tightrope that comes with this territory.


No comments: