Thursday, March 5, 2015

Old Photo Found in the Woodrat Nest



Found in our basement last weekend, among the rubble and woodrats' nest made of twigs and shingle scraps, some old photographs. The woodrats also hauled up all the old plastic Christmas ornaments too. Shiny! Must've been the braces on my teeth that attracted them to this picture. Grandma, my cousins David, Sinead and me sporting a tin-grin in Forest Knolls ca. 1971-72. Photo says August, but it's clearly not, the grass is too green, so that must be when the roll was developed. But I do know it was late afternoon, the shadow of the bishop pine. Grandma's Manhattan in hand, nearly drained. Sinead's elbow is freshly skinned, she must've been crying, so I picked her up. but somehow, she'd gotten too big for me to hold. Why the woodrats wanted a family photo to add to their treasure trove of beer caps and church keys is a mystery.  They also stole a few of our Holy Family lithographs too. Perhaps they found religion as well.



Lost Car Keys

 

first draft

Found in our basement last weekend, among the rubble and woodrats' shingle scrap nest. They also hauled up all the old plastic Christmas ornaments too. Shiny! Must've been the braces on my teeth that attracted them to this picture. Grandma, (Jennie Walsh Reilly from Bantry) my cousins David, Sinead Dinsmore, and me sporting a tin-grin in Forest Knolls ca. 1971-72. Photo says August, but it's clearly not, so that must be when the roll was developed. But I do know it was late afternoon, Grandma's Manhattan in hand, nearly drained. Sinead's elbow is freshly skinned, she must've been crying, so I picked her up.

No comments: