Friday, February 27, 2015

Chicadee vs Mirror


This little headbanger exhausted himself attacking his image in the mirror the entire afternoon. Apparently my outside mirrors have captivated the two of them. They were headbanging like rockstars last year. He fell down between the pillows, panting, still he wouldn't give up. The top of his head's even dented.

So I cupped him in the hollow of my hand to give him a "time out" until he calmed down. When I let him go, he went right back attacking his image until dusk drove his demons off. The chestnut-backed chickadee plans to win that battle with his reflection. Meanwhile, I fear for his beak. Surely he must have the headache from hell.






Apparently what I've been calling chicadee, is a mountain variety. I thought chicadees had eyebrows. But only the Mountain chickadee has eyebrows. He's different from the chicadees in West Marin. Could be what we called chickadees in West Marin was another bird. We knew the different types of birds, but not necessarily their names.

He's really tiny, but persistent. My outside mirrors have captivated the two of them. They were headbanging like rockstars last year.  This little beggar was fearless, sat in my hand, caught his breath, and took off for round 972. He plans to win that turf battle with his reflection.

No comments: