Sunday, May 19, 2013

Partridge Sighting


I once nearly stepped on a male pheasant in an abandoned bit of apple orchard behind my cabin in Forestville. He exploded into the air, and I nearly shat myself. I was there to steal fall apples, wild golden delicious. But as I watched that feral bird tear into the sky with its ridiculous tail that defied the laws of aerodynamics, I was reminded of those old Chinese paintings. I never saw a partridge before. They look like quail. I had a similar experience with a grouse in BC. I was hiking in the piney woods, feeling sorry for myself, when I nearly stepped on a startled mama grouse who was taking her last stand, protecting her clutch of chicks. All those babies made a run for it, trying to hide around my ankles, like quail babies seeking shelter. I was surrounded by small balls of striped fluff. Hard to take yourself seriously under those circumstances.




Never seen a partridge before. They really do look like quail. (or chickens). I once nearly stepped on a male pheasant in an old orchard in Forestville. Nearly shat myself. But as I watched that feral bird explode into the sky with its ridiculous tail, I was reminded of old Chinese paintings. Had a similar experience with a startled mama grouse in BC, the babies trying to hide around my ankles, looked like quail babies.

No comments: