Tuesday, September 5, 2000

Reading List: Celtic Romanticism, Klar



Celtic Romanticism
Prof. Kathryn Klar 
(Cross-registered # SFSU for grade, A)
FALL 2000: Celtic Studies 170 (4 units), 

TEXTS:
CAESAR’S GALLIC WARS
TALES OF THE ELDERS OF IRELAND: A Colloquy of Old Men
ADAMNÁN OF IONA:  LIFE OF ST COLUMBA
THE LIFE AND DEATH OF A DRUID PRINCE: The Story of Lindow Man, an Archaeological Sensation, Anne Ross & Don Robins
THE WHITE GODDESS: A Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth, Robert Graves
IRISH CURES, MYSTIC CHARMS & SUPERSTITIONS, Lady Wilde (also Proverbs).
THE TÁIN, translated by Thomas Kinsella
THE POEMS OF OSSIAN, James MacPhearson
CELTIC TWILIGHT, WB Yeats
CUCHULAIN OF MUIRTHEMNE, Lady Gregory
THE BARD, Thomas Grey
THE LAY OF THE LAST MINSTREL, Sir Walter Scott
THE WONDER SMITH AND HIS SON: A Tale from the Golden Childhood of the World, Ella Young
CELTIC WONDER TALES, Ella Young
THE HISTORY OF THE KINGS OF BRITAIN, Geoffrey of Monmouth
LE MORTE D’ARTHUR, Sir Thomas Malory
ONE BRIEF SHINING MOMENT: Remebering Kenendy, William Manchester
SIR WILLIAM WALLACE, Blind Harry (Henry) the Minstrel
THE BRUCE, John of Barbour
THE WALLACE, Nigel Tranter
THE WILD HUNT, Jane Yolen
THE KING OF IRELAND’S SON, Padraic Column
THE HOUNDS OF THE MÓRRÍGAN, Pat O’Shea
THE FAIRY-FAITH IN CELTC COUNTRIES,  W. Evan Wentz

Plus a reader: The Wanderings of Oisin, Yeats; Death of CuChulainn, L. Gregory; Misfortunes of Elphin, Peacock; Last Minstrel, Scott; 



I don't think I ever read so many books for one class as this one. But what a fun class. Luckily I was a speed reader. Sadly I have dyslexia, so recall is problematic. Having to do these short reviews honed my reading skills, and focus. Alas, now I can no longer read for pure escapeism. I am an avid underlighter, and marginalia writer. With Kindle ebooks, there's a brilliant highlighter. I use it to highlight typos, then I review the books. So evil. 

Discovering Ella Young was the surprise nugget in this class, as my friend Micaela's family knew her, so I might have even met her when I was young. We met all sorts of people in those days, growing up Bohemian. Rosalind Sharpe Wall, Micaela's mom, wrote about her. As Kathryn lectured, I kept having this deja voodooish feeling in the back of my head. When I put it together, I was gobsmacked.

I eventually plan to transcribe my Celtic Studies class notes, so this post is a placeholder (as well as a reading list). A reminder, a smack in the gob. What brought this on: I was asked to do a lecture on Celtic Bardic Poetry at Sacramento Poetry Center, and a) I was far too long gone from this material, b) I couldn't put my hands on the notes,. But I at least still had some of the books, and TG for the internet. So many medieval texts are now online (not so in 1999). I was able to reconstruct what I needed. But it was almost as bad as reinventing the wheel.   —MH 11/2015   

No comments: