Saturday, May 9, 1998

Full Moon Over Lake Merritt



Saturday's full moon over Lake Merritt

I found in the mud, a horse jawbone, encrusted with barnacles and tube worm casings. Blackened as if it had been burned. I took it home and bleached and cleaned it. I always wanted a horse jaw, or skull. So, I didn't get the whole thing. Still, I am pleased for the horse is the totemic animal of my dreams, of creativity. The horse, the archer, first full moon in May, magic is afoot.

We walked around the lake, a long line of goslings came tumbling down the hill to the safety of water. The super flock had grown up, teenagers now. We counted 36 goslings. A few domineering mothers had kidnapped, goose-napped all the others babies. As someone said, you can't get much cuter than that. As they waddled up the embankment to splash about and drink from a mud puddle, and to nibble on the grass, they were a superfamily: brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles and relatives by proximity. What could top that?


May 1998
Lake Merritt, Oakland




Full Moon Over Lake Merritt, 1st draft


Saturday's full moon over Lake Merritt, I found in the mud, a horse jawbone, encrusted with barnacles and tube worms. It was blackened as if it had been burned. Anorexic mud. I took it home and bleached it. I always wanted a horse skull. Ok, so I didn't get the whole thing. Still, I am pleased for the horse is my totemic animal, and the source of my dreams and creativity. The horse, the archer, first full moon in May, magic is afoot.

We walked around the lake amid the goslings who came tumbling down the hill to the safety of water. The super flock had grown up, they were teenagers now. We counted 36 babies. A few domineering mothers have goose-napped the others' babies. As someone said, you can't get much cuter than that. They waddled up the bank to splash about and take a drink from a mud puddle—freshwater to slake their thirst, then they turned to nibble on the grass like a herd of otherworldly fairy cattle.


May 1, 1998

No comments: