Thursday, April 10, 1997

OCCASIONAL POEM FOR NEIL

 
OCCASIONAL POEM FOR NEIL

Did you know I carry
your photo with me
for the times when I need
to restore the grace lost,
for when I’m battling
mad drivers on the road,
for when I’m late again,
for when my mind takes me
to places no one should dwell
overlong,
for when I doubt
that true love exists,
or comes again
for those who’ve hit their 40’s,
childless,
because the stars were too distant
(or too close) after all,
but we weren’t about to admit it.
For dreams were filled with their dazzle,
and we couldn’t see what dwelled
in the darkened rooms of sleep,
because sunspots dazzled us
with sapphire splendor.
And from looking too long at the sun,
by necessity,
we learned to navigate in the dark.
By naming the object of desire,
we could never be satisfied
with the imperfections of an empire
of lost souls adrift on a dark sea
of chaos and survival,
stripped of dignity and grace,
so that I seek…

            4/10/97

No comments: